When The Dark Knight Rises hits theaters this weekend, we will be seeing the end of a amazing movie trilogy. Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale have confirmed that this will be the last time they will be filming a Batman movie or anything related (Justice League for example). So what’s next for the Caped Crusader? Here are some things I’d like to see.
#1) The Riddler. After the debacle of Jim Carrey in this role, it needed some time off. Some people don’t seem to get that the Riddler is actually not really similar to Joker at all. What would a good version of the Riddler entail? A fall from grace for one. Let’s say Eddie Nashton discovers his employer’s dirty laundry, get’s axed, and changes his name to Nygma. You’ve got to really play the OCD card, as that is Riddler’s malady. He has to leave riddles, and he has to show he is smarter than everyone, and let’s face it, he is REALLY smart. This is Holmes/Moriarty stuff we’re dealing with.
2) Robin. This needs to be set up very carefully. It can’t be a joke, it does need to be Dick Grayson, and it does need to be circus related. Bruce Wayne needs to see something after Dick’s parents are killed that motivates Bruce to save Dick from the downward spiral and darkness he has subjected himself to from his own parents death.
3) The Long Halloween. A perfect Batman mystery. Holiday is a serial killer who kills once a month, on the holiday from that month. Suspects abound and for help, Batman turns to Julian Day, the Calendar Man, who also had a crime theme with days of the month. Day doesn’t want to be forgotten, so he helps Batman track down the Holiday Killer. Very Lecteresque.
4) Hush. You can’t just bring in Hush on his own story, it needs to be set up. And that means you need Killer Croc, Joker, Riddler, Two-face, Clayface, and Catwoman. This is a huge, wonderful story to build up to.
5) Gotham as a ‘Mecca for the Insane.’ It’s reference in the comics and animated shows numerous times, the idea that the presence of the Batman attracts the crazies to Gotham. In order to maintain a realistic film world, you probably need a reason that all the crazy people are in Gotham.
6) New gang wars. Going along with idea #5, a new breed of gang needs to show up in Gotham, one more extreme and a little more unbalanced. I’m thinking Penguin and Black Mask here, with maybe some help from the Great White Shark and Scarface. Also, this could lead to the chance to throw the rogue’s gallery wide open as the gang leaders stage a huge prison break at Arkham and recruit the former inmates, outfitting them with special equipment and suits to fight the Batman and match their neurosis. Possibilities: Firefly, Killer Croc, Dr. Death, Professor Pyg, Crazy Quilt, Eraser, Headhunter, Jane Doe, Tiger Shark, Onomatopoeia.
7) A live action Sub-zero. A great animated film that showed what makes Mr. Freeze tick. Change some things and bring it to the big screen.
I could go on and on all day, but I’ll say this instead: enjoy the new Batman film this week. With DC Comics recent ‘success’ with movies, I don’t know how soon another good Batman flick will come our way.